Friday, September 28, 2007

fall is in the air

It is finally starting to feel like fall down here in WV. It always takes me a while to get use to a new season in a new state. I remember the first few times I returned to school from being home for the summer in NY and it already starting to look like fall in NY and then to arrive in Philly where the idea of fall had not even entered peoples minds. And now here we are again, NY is already beautifully colorful and I would imagine even Philly is starting to show the fact that fall is here, but down here in WV our giant tree in the backyard is just now beginning to show the early stages of changing color, and it is almost October, I bet there are only a handful of leaves still on the trees in NY and by the time we actually see peak down here I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't already a first snow in good ole nisky.

All of that was to say that it has been an interesting 6 months, yes we have been down here now for 6 months. And it would be wonderful to say that we are feeling completely at home, but I know I for one am feeling less at home than I was a few months ago. The fact that we haven't gotten to know many people and we definitely haven't gotten to know anyone outside of the church has been really hard. As the christmas season approaches it is going to get harder and harder, it will be the first year we aren't throwing a christmas party for the seminary gang, it will be the first time we won't have friends in to see our tree or hangout with around the holiday season. The distance of family doesn't seem as far at this point, but it will soon. As of right now it looks like we will be spending christmas completely on our own, which won't be the first time, for our first christmas we were in Jamaica, but that was different. As the season grows closer and closer and the snow begins to fall the distance will feel so great, especially since we will be snowed in without a car that we would even risk bad conditions in.

We are keeping our fingers crossed that thanksgiving will be snow free for we will need to make the trip to Philly, than to NY than back to Philly and then return home. it would be a very sad thing to not be able to make any of those trips because of weather, but that comes with the territory of living in the mountains. They are beautiful but potentially problematic.

So all in all we are doing pretty good, just a little lonely at the moment. Jay's parents are coming down in a couple of weeks for bridge day, but no scheduled visits at this point from friends. So I guess it will be thanksgiving before we will get the chance to hangout with anyone on our own age, which is defintiely something we haven't been able to do down here. We were actually talking the other day and realized we hadn't even met anyone anywhere our age, and we are probably not looking in the right places, but we don't really enjoy hanging out in the places that many people our age like to hangout. So hopefully we will come across some upper 20s sometime soon.

I guess that is all I have to say for the moment, we are kinda just hanging in at the moment, and by we I mainly mean me, jay's a trooper. So we hope everyone is well and know that we miss you more than you know....

No comments: